It’s natural to experience some sort of dry scalp at any given point in your life. These experience can be mild or moderate, however, not everyone has dry scalp which passes but rather the chronic dry scalp problems. For these kinds of people, they’ll need to use shampoos for dry scalp.
One of the most troublesome periods of dry scalp is during winter. This period the weather drains water and moisture content from the hair and scalp. Bear in mind that winter is the major harbinger of the dreaded dry scalp. Worse still, it can also make an existing scalp condition worsen due to the terribly dry (and cold) season. We’ve listed some of the best shampoos for dry scalp.
What is Dry Scalp?
Dry scalp is a hair condition which is prevalent in the winter season. It is usually noticed as small white flakes. The result of the excessive dry heat, cold weather or diet (as the case may be). It’s normal to occasionally experience itching and tightness with a dry scalp. However, nothing excessive like you’d experience if you have dandruff or eczema).
With dry scalp, there’s a possibility of finding flakes or dead skin just like you’d notice with dandruff. But you should bear in mind that dry scalp is not dandruff. There’s a difference between dandruff and dry scalp. Some other characteristics you may notice with dry scalp include:
- Hair loss (if dry scalp is left untreated)
- Hair easily falling out
- Frizzy, dull, lifeless looking hair
To avoid these conditions, you should consider changing your hair products, and the use of the best shampoo for dry scalp is a top priority.
Reasons you might have a flaky, dry itchy scalp…
Your head’s skin might turn dry for a variety of reasons which are included but not restricted to the following reasons:
- Sensitivity to specific ingredients: Different people have ingredients which their skin reacts to and are sensitive to. A key example of such ingredient is surfactants which are present in shampoos. Most problematic of these surfactants are lauryl sulfate which is also known as SLS and laureth sulfate. There are other irritating ingredients found in most hair care products. They include resins and silicones. Resins, for instance, are found in most hair styling products and sprays. They are an important addition as they help make hair curls and increase its volume. However, keeping these products in your hair without washing them off would lead to build up and result in future problems.
- Psoriasis: which is a non-contagious but chronic condition that leaves the skin dry and extra flaky is another reason. Due to the continuous drying and flakiness of the skin, there’s bound to be a buildup of those dead skin cells, leading to a blockage of the hair follicles. This prevents those moisturizing products from being effective. If you are suffering from Psoriasis, it’s recommended to check with your doctor and see which treatment your scalp needs.
- Dandruff: is also a major cause of itchy and dry scalp. It is caused by the skin over-reacting to the P. ovale fungus. The P. ovale fungus is mostly living undetected on human heads but sometimes the rate at which it is being fought by the skin becomes faster which then gets many dead cells residue in the process (dry flakes).
Remember that not everyone has the same skin type; some people have drier skins than the rest of us.
Now that we’ve covered the reasons for your dry itchy scalp, let’s take a look at the best shampoo for dry scalp.
Best Shampoos for Dry Scalp Treatment
Nizoral A-D Shampoo (Anti-Dandruff)
We’ll start the list with the Nizoral A-D shampoo which is one of the sort-after shampoos by people with severe dandruff infestation. This shampoo goes after the p.ovale fungus which causes dandruff and kills it. It uses the anti-fungal ingredient ketoconazole to keep both flakes and itch in check.
The Nizoral A-D isn’t rough on the hair and thus can be used on chemically processed hairs, color-treated and even gray hair. It’s very active and there’s a possibility of drying out hair. You could make use of a conditioner after making use of the Nizoral A-D shampoo to avoid this. The smell is fresh and clean (almost unperceivable) which makes it a top choice for people who don’t want those shampoos with a nauseating smell.
Pure Tea Tree Oil Anti-Dandruff Shampoo for Flaky Dry Itchy Scalp (Sulphate Free)
If you are a lover of natural essential oil treatment, the pure tea tree oil shampoo is for you. It’s rich with several natural essential oils with potent anti-dandruff fighting ingredients. This sulfate-free cleanser helps prevent thinning hair and head lice.
This tea tree oil has soothing antibacterial properties which lets it absorb excess oil present in oily hair while soothing the irritated scalp. All you need to do is wash your hair rigorously with the shampoo and let it refresh and revitalize your scalp. Keep dandruff flakes, dirt and oil away from your hair and scalp using an organic shampoo. The tea tree oil shampoo asides fighting dandruff and dry scalp also help improve hair growth (fuller and thicker hair).
Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Anti-Dandruff Almond Oil Shampoo (Pack of 2)
If you are stuck with deciding if to opt for a single shampoo and a pack of two, this head and shoulders dry scalp treatment shampoo is a good deal and worth the try. It’s one of the preferred brands for dandruff treatment and this two-in-one pack contains natural almond oil.
The smell is pleasant with a lot of users praising the sweet smell. Contains chemicals that help fight dandruff and keeps the skin irritation and itch-free. The only downside is that it takes a lot of water to get the shampoo all out as it lathers easily and voluminously.
Argan Oil Sulfate-Free Organic Shampoo with Jojoba, Peach Kernel, Avocado, Camellia Seed, Keratin, Argan and Almond for All Hair Types and Color Treated Hairs
For lovers of sulfate free shampoo, this argan oil shampoo which comprises of some of the most effective oils that help in the care of scalp and hair. The keratin hair treatment of Argan comprises of vitamin A, B1, B2, D & E which increases hair strength and also eliminating frizz.
Colored hair users don’t have anything to fear as it’s soothing and doesn’t hamper the color or texture of both natural and processed hair. The likes of peach kernel, jojoba and avocado oil present help rejuvenate the hair as well as nourish the hair scalp.
Klorane Shampoo with Peony for Irritated Scalp
Klorane, a well-established brand of shampoo has its own dry, itchy scalp treatment which consists of Peony extract that combats itching and irritation. This strong anti-dandruff shampoo can be used daily or when needed and is fast acting, capable of stopping itch immediately and for up to 24 hours after use. It contains a gentle base which lets the scalp regain its natural balance. The Klorane Peony shampoo is both vegan and biodegradable and stays away from such irritants like sulfates, parabens, and silicones.
Fighting Dry, Itchy Scalp and Dandruff
We have already covered some of the best products for fighting dry, itchy scalp and dandruff but here are some important last minute details to note. Not everyone experiences the same severity of dandruff and dry scalp, this is because different people have different skin types (some have naturally dry skin and some others very oily skin).
People suffering from psoriasis and those whose skin reacts differently to ingredients used in the production of these hair care products are usually more prone to frequent breakouts of itching and flaking. To combat this, here are a few steps to assist you with your fight against dandruff:
- When choosing your shampoos, go for the organic ones without irritants like sulfates, dyes, and so on.
- Avoid over styling with spray, gel, mousse and try not to dry out your scalp using curling irons and hair dryers.
- Try using a moisturizing hair mask on your scalp or you can use a scalp scrub for exfoliation.
- If you are sunbathing, keep your head covered.
- Use wide toothed comb or brush that doesn’t scrap your scalp or tangle in your hair.
- After shampooing or conditioning, make sure to get all the elements off your head by rinsing in cool water until no lather is left.
- Contact your doctor for other more effective treatment when you notice that your itch and flaking isn’t diminishing even after the use of over-the-counter products.
A simple adjustment to your hair care routine can work wonders in your quest to eliminate dandruff and its associated flakes. You can decide to manipulate yours until you find what works.
Dry scalp treatment isn’t as complex as it’s made to sound. With the right shampoo, you can easily fix up your dandruff and associated problems. We’ve carefully highlighted few of the best shampoo for dry scalp you can try to achieve your hair goals. If you are happy with the article, do check back later for more reviews of other high-quality and best beauty products to spice up your look.